The Britax Roundabout 55 is one of Britax’s most compact convertible car seats. Along with its slightly smaller footprint, the Roundabout 55 also features a lower weight capacity than other Britax convertible car seats, without sacrificing trusted Britax safety. Among the most notable safety features is the Britax SafeCell™ Technology, which is a honeycomb-like material that is designed to compress in a crash, stabilizing the car seat and minimizing the movement of both your child and the seat upon impact.
- Lower center of gravity to increase stability and minimize impact in the event of a crash
- Side Impact Protection with EPP energy-absorbing foam
- Innovative safety features including SafeCell Technology and Integrated Steel Bars
- Accommodates children up to 40 lbs rear-facing and 55 lbs forward-facing
- Adjustable crotch strap and rear- and forward-facing recline
Benefits for You: The Britax Roundabout 55 features a smaller footprint than other Britax convertible car seats for an easier fit in your car. The Roundabout 55′s rear- and forward-facing recline ensures you get the best possible fit for the angle of your vehicle seat. The contoured base features an anti-slip grip to protect the vehicle seat from the wear and tear that can occur over time.
For your convenience, the Roundabout 55 features harness holders to keep the harness straps out of the way while placing your child in the seat. With a front harness adjuster, you can easily tighten or loosen the harness system to achieve the proper fit for your child. Keep your Roundabout 55 looking good as new with the easy-to-remove, washable cover.
Installation: Install the Roundabout 55 rear-facing from 5-40 lbs, and forward-facing from at least 1-year-old and 20 lbs, up to 55 lbs. The Roundabout 55 can be installed using either your vehicle’s seat belts or LATCH. The contoured base with anti-slip grip offers optimum vehicle fit, and the rear- and forward-facing recline creates the proper angle for a perfect fit in all types of vehicle seats.
The Roundabout’s LATCH system provides a quick, simple and tight installation, and the premium lower LATCH connectors feature a push button for easy release. For added stability, use the top tether to anchor your seat in both the rear- and forward-facing positions. If you install the Roundabout 55 using LATCH, you’ll be happy to know you won’t have to re-thread the LATCH connectors through the car seat when you move it from rear-facing to forward-facing.
The guided belt path allows you to easily route your vehicle’s seat belt through the Roundabout 55. The belt path is positioned at the front of the Britax seat back, and is easily accessible through the seat fabric. The built-in lock-offs ensure a snug and secure lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort.
Benefits for Baby: The Roundabout 55 accommodates both infants and toddlers rear-facing from 5-40 lbs, and can be used forward-facing for children at least 1-year-old and 20 lbs, up to 55 lbs. For smaller infants, Britax offers an Infant Positioning Insert, sold separately, to achieve the most snug fit possible of the harness.
The 5-point harness keeps little ones snug and secure, and the crotch strap adjusts to two positions to accommodate growing children. The Roundabout 55 features an extra layer of padding with high density comfort foam to keep your child comfy during longer rides and road trips. Keep sippy cups close at hand with the [Britax Child Cup Holder], sold separately.
- SafeCell Technology is a honeycomb-like component inside the base of the seat designed to compress upon impact reducing the forward motion of the child seat, therefore reducing the risk of head and neck injuries
- Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash
- Patented, Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether® features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
- Side Impact Protection comprised of deep side walls lined with energy-absorbing EPP foam distributes crash forces, shields from vehicle intrusion, and contains the head, neck and body
- 5-point harness
- Meets or exceeds FMVSS 213
Comparison: If you like all the features of the Roundabout 55, but are looking for a convertible car seat with higher weight limits, check out the Britax Marathon 70. The Marathon 70 includes all the same features of the Roundabout 55, plus a quick-adjust no re-thread harness, a plush, easy-to-remove cover, the Harness Ultra Guard System (HUGS™) which provides resistance to forward movement in the event of a crash, and a 70 lb weight limit in the forward-facing position. However, the Marathon 70 does have a higher price tag and will take up more room in the vehicle.
If backseat space is a concern to you, check out the Combi Coccoro. The Coccoro is a compact convertible car seat that weighs 11 lbs and can fit up to 3 seats across in most vehicles. However, the Coccoro can only accommodate infants rear-facing up to 33 lbs and forward-facing up to 40 lbs.